back to top
2019 Technology + The Law Symposium
Please join Michael Best, the Duke University Office of Licensing & Ventures, and thought leaders from government, academia, and industry for a full-day conference covering the intersection of technology and the practice and application of the law.
The day will feature a series of keynote presentations and interactive panel discussions appropriate for in-house counsel and business leaders. The sessions cover a wide range of emerging technologies and their impact on the law. Topics to be covered include:
- Intellectual property implications for artificial intelligence
- Blockchain technology and its many uses
- The latest on cryptocurrencies and how they are regulated
- 3-D printing and additive manufacturing
- The current state and future of the medical cannabis and hemp industries in the tobacco belt
- Launching a healthcare start-up
- Innovation in drug pricing,
- Protecting data in the U.S. and abroad
- Patent year in review
- Diversity and inclusion in innovation
Confirmed speakers and moderators include practitioners from Michael Best and Michael Best Strategies, as well as:
- Joshua Arant, Founder & COO, Mako Medical
- Jeff Bedard, President & CEO, Crown Laboratories, Inc.
- John Bridge, Director of Financial Crime Services, Trust Stamp
- Dawn Code, Founder, Unspecified LLC
- Karen Coderre, Director, Pharmacy Clinical Management & Quality, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Bennett Collen, Founder & CEO, Cognate
- Todd Crosland, CEO, CoinZoom
- Mike Crowley, Senior IP Counsel, HP Inc.
- Nathan George, CTO, The Sovrin Foundation
- Deborah Gerhardt, Associate Professor of Law, UNC School of Law
- Thomas L. Irving, Partner, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner
- Shawna Lemon, Co-Managing Shareholder, Stanek Lemon Crouse + Meeks, PA
- Sheila Mikhail, President and Co-Founder, Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc.
- Micky Minhas, VP, Associate General Counsel, Patents, Microsoft
- Bob Morgan, Member of the Illinois House of Representatives and Partner, Benesch Friedlander Coplan & Aronoff LLP
- David Nguyen, Founder & CEO, United Solutions
- Lucas Osborn, Associate Professor of Law, Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
- Honorable Sarah Bloom Raskin, Rubenstein Fellow, Duke Law
- Robin Rasor, Executive Director, Office of Licensing & Ventures, Duke University
- David Ridley, Dr. and Mrs. Frank A. Riddick Professor of the Practice, Duke Fuqua School of Business
- Macey Smith, Principal, United Solutions
- Daniel Tardiff, Chief Legal Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Alliance Rx Walgreens Prime
- Linda Tigges, General Counsel, Data Center Group, Lenovo USA
- Jeremy Unruh, Director of Public & Regulatory Affairs, PharmaCann LLC
- Michael Weinberg, Executive Director, Engelberg Center on Innovation Law & Policy at NYU School of Law
- Jason Williams, President & CEO, PRTI
- Timothy Wilson, Director, Patents SAS Institute Inc.
CLE credit in CO, IL, NC, SC, TX, UT, VA, and WI is pending. We are happy to provide the program materials to participants applying for credit in other states.
We hope you can join us! For questions, please contact our Events team.
Thursday, November 7, 2019
8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
JB Duke Hotel
230 Science Drive
Durham, NC 27708